Love is a choice
So I read blog where a young man is stuggling in his marriage and it is a hurtful read as it is honest and you can feel his pain and frustration.
When I started dating Norm it took me by surprise as I was in a relationship 6 mns. before and the guy scared the life out of me. Let me explain. He was a Pastor, kind, generous, loving and he sought me out via a friend. I had met him before some yrs. ago and I was attracted to him however, he was going thru a separation and he was concentrating on working the marriage out as his wife left him and denouced Christianity. So of course there was no relationship for him and I. So 4 yrs. later he contacted me and we started to go out but...it felt like he was rushing things and it scared me tremenously. Like he was already at the Alter waiting for me to catch up. After a month or more I ended it, telling him it was me not him as he was so confused. I met Norm 5 months later and we started dating. Our relationship moved fast in the sense we were engaged 6 months of dating but it was a prayerful search. It was not based on our feelings. I asked God what He wanted for me as I had sworn 7 months before that I was going to remain single (was having lots of fun). The decision I came to was not based on my feelings, feelings come and go, change day to day it was based soley on What He wanted in my life. Can I serve Him more with someone as a married person, reaching others for Christ or can I reach more people as a single woman? This was my decision, this was my only consuming thought. Norm and I were not kids, we only wanted to please God and do His will for our lives. I remember hearing a song a friend played while living in Australia and the words stuck in my mind "Love is a choice." Maybe it was by Larry Norman or something, can't really remember. Those words are the ones I live by. When Norm and I disagree, when I am angry at him for a doing a regular man thing, it is those words that always come to my mind "love is a choice." Marriage is about sacrificing oneself for the other (I'm still learning this as it is tough to say the least), to think of the others needs first. I do a terrible job most days but I'm still trying. When I am angry, frustrated I choose to love him. There are times you need an outsider for help, someone you can trust, a mentor to help bring you back on track. Marriage is work, don't kid yourself.

4 Comments:
yeah i see it like a train far off hahaha
Interesting read, for several reasons.
I'm also not sure it would have occurred to me that people would make that sort of decision based on how they feel they can best please God.
Interesting stuff.
Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»
Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home