Thursday, April 06, 2006

Some thoughts

This Sunday our Church is having it's Annual Quartly Family Meeting...that is mouthful. We tried to have it last Tuesday night but we needed 50 plus 1 to make Quarum, we were not successful but it was a great time of prayer.
So we are going to vote in 2 Elders and this is what I struggle with. I think an Elder should be one who's heart is for furthering the Kingdom and this should be in their daily lives, home and work. My job is my job FROM God, He placed me where I am, He has given me the abilities to do what I do and I do it with passion. I love going to work. Every day I am constantly looking for opportunities to further His Kingdom. I am not allowed to talk about Christ or Christianity but God has given me moments where I have and it is then I feel His blessing. He guides my talk with the kids. Recently God promoted a woman who I ablsoutely adore to be a Teacher in Charge while we are short one Vice - Principal. I think we are twins separated at birth, she stayed in a warm climate while I went to cold climate therefore explaining our colour differences. Africa is much warmer than Canada so that must be it. I can't wait to work with her, talk with her, laugh with her over the crazy things we deal with. The amazing thing is that a lot of the kids that have come before us for discipline have been Christian kids who have made some mistakes. God has used us as witnesses for Him by our actions and our discussions around natural consequences and how to make good choices. It is so awesome. In saying all this I would expect an Elder to act in this manner within their secular jobs, that the jobs they have should not be their jobs but His job. I have to remind myself daily of my attitude with the kids, not show my anger, not to speak rudely out of frustration. My colleague helps in this area as well as she shows me by her attitude and actions, she is a role model to me. I wonder if there are questions put to the would-be Elders?
No news on Mom yet. She has the same Doctor as the last time she had her other hip done 9 yrs. ago. Dr. Gross was really good, he is supposed to be one of the best in Canada. Took tomorrow off of work and am going with Dad to the Hospital to see Mom.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent blog! I wanted you to know what I learned about the elder nomination process as I understand. There is a committee that seeks candidates. These candidates are are then voted on by secret ballot umongst the committee. The elder candidate must receive enough "votes" amongst the committee before the interview process. The interview process is very thourough and lasts about 1.5 hours. There is a letter of sorts that is given to the candidate outlining expectations and thoughts for prayer. The questions asked are very thourough. As well there are many "real life" situations that the elder is asked how they would respond. The biblical issues around eldership are discussed and comment is required. From what I have seen of the process, I am very impressed and feel very confident that elders who are put forward are worthy of this calling.

The final step is voting by the membership which takes place at a sanctioned official meeting.

I have seen the eldership election process in 4 other churches/denominations and the EVAC process is by far the most thourough. In addition, elders are elected for finite terms.

I loved your comment as we are called not only in word but in deed. That is to say, we are to actually LIVE our chrisitan convictions.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home